If you are still planning your Thanksgiving menu and are looking for a different side dish, try this one out. I am not a fan of typical Thanksgiving sides so I am always brainstorming new ideas. This is a fun spin on roasted broccoli and cauliflower. The toasted almonds give it a nice crunch, the bacon gives it a nice savory flavor, the capers add a salty zing and the Parmesan cheese finishes the dish perfectly. All tossed together with a bright Dijon vinaigrette. It makes for not only a beautiful side dish but one full of flavor as well.
I had a head of purple cauliflower from my CSA bundle, but regular cauliflower would work fine. The purple does give it such a vibrant gorgeous color though! You could also just do all broccoli and no cauliflower, whatever you prefer!
- 2 small heads Broccoli, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 head Cauliflower, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup Almonds, sliced and toasted
- 6 pieces Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 tbsp Capers
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper
- On a large baking dish place broccoli and cauliflower. Drizzle with olive oil and salt pepper. Toss all together. Bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile on a smaller baking tray arrange sliced almonds, drizzle with olive oil and a little salt. Bake at 350°F for about 5-7 minutes. You just want them lightly toasted, not burnt.
- In a jar or bowl whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, dijon mustard and white wine vinegar. Add a little salt and pepper.
- Place the roasted broccoli and cauliflower in a bowl and toss with dressing. Add in bacon and capers. Add in the almonds and Parmesan cheese last and lightly toss. Add more dressing or salt and pepper if needed!