We leave for the mountains this week so I have been trying to use up what we have in our fridge. I had all this on hand except I had to pick up the rotisserie chicken. It was so rainy and dreary here yesterday and I was craving a big bowl of soup. This one was so wonderful and so healthy. The combo of the herbs, lemon juice, chicken, cabbage and broth is so soothing and bright.
I love my fancy EPIC Homestyle Savory Chicken bone broth (I mean once you try it is it is hard to go back) but I did a mix of it and standard broth. Funny story is I got hooked on this broth when I had my last colonoscopy and could only eat broth. I wanted a good broth if that was going to be my only food and I have been hooked ever since. I drink it alone often or use in soups. I order from Amazon or buy at Whole Foods. I also LOVE the jalapeño beef flavor!
This soup takes about 30 minutes to make and is so filling! Serve with Parmesan cheese and crusty bread if desired! Enjoy!
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken, shredded
- 1 small head Napa Cabbage, shredded
- 2-3 Carrots, diced
- 2 stalks Celery, sliced
- 1 small White Onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 jars EPIC Homestyle Savory Chicken Bone Broth (* see below)
- 1 quart Chicken Broth
- 1 package Precook White Rice (I use the Uncle Ben's kind in the bag)
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp Fresh Dill
- 2 tbsp Fresh Parsely
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tbsp Hot Sauce
- 1 tsp (each) Salt and Pepper (rough estimate — add less or more as needed)
- In a large pot, add a little olive oil and toss in carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. Sauté about 5-7 minutes until fragrant and carrots have softened slightly.
- Add in shredded chicken, cabbage and broths.
- Cook rice in the bag (mine called to be microwaved 90 secs) and then pour in soup. Add in herbs, lemon juice, hot sauce and salt and pepper.
- Let simmer about 20-30 minutes. Taste season more if needed.