Today I turn the big 40. Such a milestone birthday. I remember growing up my mom threw my dad a 40th birthday and we decorated with all black decorations that said “over the hill.” 40 is a little different now. Back then I thought it seemed soooo old. I definitely have days I feel old and not so hip – like when I read US Weekly I don’t know who half the people are these days, hangovers are so much worse the older you get, I have many more wrinkles, and your metabolism definitely slows down. Otherwise I feel pretty young at heart.
My 30’s were a decade filled with lots of major life changes. I went from being a mom of one to a mom of two, I got divorced, lived through a really toxic relationship post marriage, went to lots of therapy, sold our martial home and bought a house all on my own, grew my blog from a creative outlet to a full time career, made a wonderful circle of friends who I adore, and just grew into being comfortable in my own skin.
I have learned to say no to things that don’t move or inspire me, that the quality of friends is more important than the quantity ( I keep my close circle of friends small), I have learned what others think of you is none of your business, that family is the most important thing, and having a positive attitude can change everything.
I know my 40s are going to be a great decade:) Thanks to all of you for following along my journey and being my virtual friends.
40 Random Facts about Me
1. my middle name used to be Michelle, its now Debnam my maiden name.
2. My first car was a red Buick Skylark stick shift, I am still impressed I knew how to drive stick
3. I hate to brush my teeth and hate gum
4. Nickelodeon took over my elementary school, we had Mark Summers, Double Dare and lots of slime
5. I have never had a spray tan (but pretty sure I need one)
6. I had a miscarriage between Sterling and Frances Moon and still think about that baby.
7. I love plants but can’t keep them alive I have a black thumb
8. I love books, cookbooks, coffee table books and I love browsing a book store.
9. my instagram name @snoopnattynat came from college because I was know for rapping Snoop songs.
10. I have never been to California but dying for a wine country trip
11. The Caribbean is my happy place- white sands and crystal blue waters make me happy
12. Two favorite movies are Overboard and My Father the Hero
13. My favorite flower is a peony
14. I drink an obscene about of green tea everyday (unsweetened)
15. I find making cahrcuterie trays therapeutic. I find it a form of art.
16. I always write in all caps
17. I love lucite and gold home accessories
18. I go to Homegoods once a week (well I did before the quarantine) I love the thrill of hunting for a bargain.
19. I love a Taco Bell Mexican Pizza and Bean Burrito
20. I met Bobby Flay in NYC at his restaurant and I was a total fan girl
21. I only like white towels and white sheets
22. I am obsessed with all things Ulla Johnson designs
23. I believe in women supporting and uplifting each other and not judging. We are all doing our best.
24. My current girl crushes are Kristen Cavallari, Molly Sims, and Gwyneth Paltrow
25. I love anything pickled
26. I wrote my senior exit paper on tornados, I used to have a weird fascination with tornados.
27. I have major anxiety when I fly. I am not necessarily scared of the plane crashing it is more feeling trapped and like I can’t get off if I want to.
28. I talk to my mom and sister several times everyday. I always call both of them first thing in the morning.
29. My dream job would to either be a food stylist at a food magazine or to open my clothing store I would love to be buyer.
30. I love organzing my fridge and do it at least once a week
31. I have a weird urge to laugh in uncomfortable situations like when people fall or get hurt
32. I love tequila and like to sip to neat
33. I like to start my morning with 3 beverages- hot lemon water, wheatgrass or lemon ginger shot and coffee
34. one of my all time favorite songs is Islands in the Stream
35. I am always reading several books at the same time.
36. Blouses are my favorite clothing item to buy
37. I have one eye with blond eyelashes and one eye with black eyelashes
38. I wear make up every single day, You know I am really sick when I don’t out on make-up
39. I make a to do list every day and I like to hand write it and my calendar vs on my phone.
40. I am losing my mind home schooling my kids. I am not cut out to be a teacher.