What I Eat

I have had several requests to do some more personal blog posts. If you have any ideas shoot them my way!  Next up I am working on a day in my life post.   A request I get often is to share what I eat in a day.  Now keep in mind this varies but these are just a few sample ideas of meals I eat.  I was going to break this down by day but decided to break it down my meals to give you ideas of what I eat for each meal.

B R E A K F A S T

Greek Yogurt + honey + blueberries + granola

Sauteed Kale + Shreds of Parmesan + 1 Fried Egg + Sliced Tomato + Bacon

PB Toast with sliced bananas, coconut flakes and a drizzle of honey + grapefruit

Oatmeal on the go from Starbucks

Green Smoothie-  coconut water, 1 banana, 2 handfuls spinach or kale or both, frozen mango, frozen pineapple, and a scoop of Greek Yogurt.

Hard boiled egg + morning star sausage patty + avocado + tomatoes

Energy Balls- These are a quick easy breakfast to grab and eat when you don’t have much time.

Mix 1 cup oats, 1/2 cup peanut butter, 3/4 cups shredded coconut,
1/3 cup honey, 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, 1 tsp vanilla. 1 tsp cinnamon.
Refrigerate for 30 mins then roll into balls.  Add flax seed or chia
seeds if desired.

L U N C H

Brussels Sprouts Salad + Tabbouleh+ Hummus + pickled beets + Homemade pita chips

Lunch on the go.  If I eat lunch out I always try and order a salad.  Two different salads I had recently- Mexican + Asian Cabbage Salad.

Tabbouleh + Homemade Pita Chips

I buy the Near East box of tabbouleh and cook it according to the directions. Then I add in chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, lemon juice, and mint and basil.   To make the pita chips I slice whole wheat pita into strips and drizzle with olive oil.  Then I add Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel seasoning.  Bake at 350 degrees about 10 minutes.

Avocado Toast

D I N N E R

Tacos + Mexican Corn

I have been trying to cut back a bit on carbs because I gained a few pounds this Summer.  I use Romaine lettuce as my taco shell and do seasoned ground beef, chopped tomatoes, cheese, guacamole, jalapenos and hot sauce.

Salmon + Chopped Salad + Roasted Asparagus

Salmon is one food both of my kids will eat so I cook it often.  I roast my salmon with olive oil, salt and peppers and capers.  Sometimes I add a little Parmesan cheese too.

Chopped Greek Salad

Quinoa + Arugula + Rotisserie Chicken + Roasted Mushrooms + Roasted Sweet Potatoes + Chopped Pistachios.  Then I usually drizzle Annie’s Shitake Sesame Dressing over this.  I often add goat cheese too if I have it.

Caprese Salad- this has been a go to dinner this Summer.  I add in pesto and sometimes crispy prosciutto.

S N A C K S

I honestly don’t snack much.

Jalapeno string cheese- I found this at Target

handful of nuts

pickles, olives, banana peppers- I love anything pickled

1. Laura
    August 10, 2017 / 1:14 pm

This is great! You are such a healthy and innovative cook! I’d love to see how you take what you cook to serve your kids. What do their plates look like? Do y’all primarily eat the same things?

2. August 10, 2017 / 1:29 pm

I always love posts like this! I need to start adding pesto to my mozzarella caprese salads! Would be so much yummier!

The Sarcastic Blonde

• nataliemason
      August 10, 2017 / 6:11 pm

haha you know I always have my nightly wine:)

3. Andrea
    August 10, 2017 / 5:06 pm

This is great, thank you!! I’d also love to see a post like this but for your kids. I’m always looking for new breakfast/lunch ideas for my kids.

4. Taylor
    August 10, 2017 / 6:58 pm

How did you make the corn with your tacos, looks amazing?!

5. August 10, 2017 / 6:59 pm

I’d love to try roasting my salmon with capers. What temp and for how long do you usually roast it? Seems like a great, healthy weeknight meal.

• Aislin Reddin
      August 10, 2017 / 9:33 pm

Obviously I’m not Natalie (!), but I found a fool proof salmon recipe that my friends and I swear by. My salmon is never dry! It is Pioneer Woman and she puts the salmon (however you season it/top it) in a cold oven and set it for 400 for 25 minutes. Depending on how thick the filet is, I typically only do 20. Doing it this way makes me want salmon at home all of the time!

6. A Santos
    August 10, 2017 / 11:55 pm

I think you should consider being a food stylist. You have such a gift for this. Love these kind of posts.

7. Jan Baker
    August 11, 2017 / 12:09 am

Will be in Charleston soon, where should I shop?

8. Christie
    August 11, 2017 / 12:49 am

Great post! I’d hate to see documentation of what I eat in a day!! Thanks for the inspiration!

Can you please tell me the name of the beautiful dishes/serving platters that you have? LOVE them

9. Kristen
    August 11, 2017 / 1:24 pm

So many good and healthy options! Thank you!

10. Nancy
    August 11, 2017 / 4:43 pm

Do you use quick oats or old fashioned in the energy balls?

• nataliemason
      August 11, 2017 / 8:59 pm

I used quick but I think either would work fine!

11. August 13, 2017 / 1:58 pm

I want to eat all of this! Everything looks delicious. You are so creative.

12. Leslie
    August 17, 2017 / 1:59 pm

Thanks for the great ideas! I too am interested in kids food ideas – mine are so picky! You really should consider writing a cookbook — healthy food for busy moms sometimes seems too hard, but you make it easy!