Brown Rice Sushi Bowls

Sterling and I love our Monday sushi nights but I was wanting to try something different this week.

I have to thank my good friend Erin for sharing this recipe with me. I remembered her mentioning she made these bowls before so I set out to make my own.  There are a million different ways you can make the bowls, it basically boils down to how you like your sushi.  I love raw sushi but I was not brave enough to attempt my bowl with raw meat.  Crab is Sterling’s favorite so I used the good ole “K” krab:)  Gotta be honest I don’t hate the imitation crab.   My friend Erin said that she uses shrimp and the crab in her bowls so that is another option.  I have a feeling fresh crab would also be amazing.   You can sub white rice if you want but I was trying to make ours healthier.  Erin also recommended spicy mayo (mayo + sriracha) but I omitted that too and just used soy sauce.

If you like just a veggie bowl try adding in sliced radish, pineapple and or edamame.  The options are endless.  This was an easy weeknight meal I will be making again.

Enjoy

|| B R O W N   R I C E   S U S H I  B O W L ||

– Brown rice cooked

– 1 avocado diced

– 2 carrots Julienned

– 1 cucumber Julienned

– 3 green onions sliced

– 1 pack imitation crab meat (or fresh crab)

– soy sauce

– Sriracha

– sesame seeds

– rice wine vinegar

Cook rice according to package. I drizzled mine with some rice wine vinegar for extra flavor.  Mix together soy with a drizzle of sriracha  Layer all in a bowl and serve with the soy sauce and garnish with sesame seeds.

1. April 8, 2015 / 1:12 pm

Yum, that sounds good!! I will try it soon. I *love* sashimi as well but don't think I'd try it at home either. Not sure the fam would like crab so I'll try shrimp first.

2. April 8, 2015 / 2:50 pm

I absolutely love this idea. Such a great way to make sushi without the fuss of rolling it.

3. April 8, 2015 / 3:06 pm

That looks delicious! I don't hate imitation crab either…but I think I might have to ease my way into adding anything raw into the bowl. However, ahi tuna wouldn't be a bad option!

4. April 8, 2015 / 5:34 pm

This just blew my mind – such a DUH moment. I've never been brave enough to actually make sushi at home and this is the perfect way to get the flavor without the fuss!

5. April 8, 2015 / 9:47 pm

This looks delicious! I love dinners like that.

6. April 9, 2015 / 3:03 pm

Look amazingly delicious! I told a Japanese friend of mine one I liked sashimi. I promptly received a invite for dinner. Her husband had come back from sea fishing and I was served sliced raw fish he had caught, and a lot of it. It have been briefly marinated with some soy sauce and chilli. I was nervous at first once I tried it, I found it ok – but too chewy. Yours looks more up my street!

7. April 9, 2015 / 11:16 pm

This looks amazing. Thanks for always providing such genius ideas for those of us who are stuck in a constant domestic rut. xoxo