Stovetop Mac and Cheese

Confession I love box mac and cheese.  I know it is so processed and not good for you but I can put down some Velveeta shells or Kraft Mac and Cheese.   However, I got to thinking I wonder if I could make my own.  A few google searches later and a scan of our pantry and I was in business.  The homemade kind is super easy and oh so good!  You can use any noodles you have and any cheese you have.  I happened to have half a box of elbows left and white cheddar cheese.  This mac and cheese was so creamy and delicious!

Enjoy!

|| S T O V E T O P   M A C   A N D   C H E E S E ||

1 pound pasta (elbows, penne, rigatoni, whatever you like)
1 1/2 cups whole milk
2 Tablespoons flour
3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
Pinch cayenne

Instructions

1. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
  2. Warm
    1 cup of milk over medium heat. Whisk together the remaining milk and
    flour until there are no lumps. When the milk begins to steam, whisk in
    the flour mixture. Whisk until it begins to thicken, about 3 to 4
    minutes. It will be the consistency of heavy cream. Gradually whisk in
    the cheese. Add salt, pepper, dry mustard, cayenne, and nutmeg. When the
    cheese has completely melted, add the pasta.
  3. Coat the pasta completely in cheese sauce. Serve immediately.

1. May 14, 2014 / 11:56 am

Mac n' Cheese is the best! I will have to try this recipe, I made the America's Test Kitchen recipe awhile ago and it was amazing, but if I remember correctly, a bit work intensive. Thanks for sharing! I always look forward to your recipe posts because they always have great new recipes!

2. May 14, 2014 / 12:13 pm

This looks amazing! Matt and I sneak macaroni and cheese at least once a month after the kids are asleep 🙂

3. May 14, 2014 / 12:57 pm

This looks really good! Mac and Cheese is one of my favorites, and I do love the boxed one too 🙂 I'll have to try this soon!!!

Xo-L
    simplylowcountry.com

4. May 14, 2014 / 1:40 pm

Pinning this asap. Is there anything better than mac & cheese?! Looks and sounds so good!

5. May 14, 2014 / 1:42 pm

Have also had great results with the crockpot Mac&Cheese recipe floating around the web!
    I would not use pre-shredded cheese though- it always comes out with a grainy texture (I think b/c it has some kind of wax coating on it). Try using cheese in a block and grate it yourself for even smoother texture. And sneak in some truffle cheese for a real treat!! XO

6. May 14, 2014 / 1:48 pm

Yum! Looks delicious and actually pretty easy!

PS LOVE your pot — where is it from?

7. May 14, 2014 / 2:38 pm

You should try one of the stove top recipes that use an egg and evaporated milk instead of a roux. They are so smooth and creamy… much more like the beloved blue box!!!

8. May 14, 2014 / 9:34 pm

Hahaha. I'm so with you! Lol. This version looks pretty dang good too!

9. May 15, 2014 / 3:20 pm

I could eat my weight in this mac and cheese. Not kidding. lol

10. May 19, 2014 / 3:04 pm

Just made this last night and WOW! Delicious and easy – thank for sharing & love your blog!