Updating Our Master Bedroom: Phase One New Rug

Several of you have asked me to share more house pictures and updates.  The truth is my house is always in a constant state of change and upheaval.   I feel like it is never quite finished.  I love Frances Moon’s nursery and it feels complete,  but the rest of the rooms in our house I am constantly switching things around, rearranging,  and redecorating.  The main rooms I want to focus on and update this year are Sterling’s room, our Master bedroom and bathroom.

I decided to start on our Master first.  We recently got a King Bed from my sweet in-laws,  which we love- game changer for our marriage and sleeping habits I tell you!    After that Biscuit Home helped me out with our bedding which I adore.  If you need new Bedding Biscuit Home is the way to go, their bedding is so soft and gorgeous. I have the gray border duvet and shams.  So far that is all we have done in the Master is work on the bed.

I decided to compile a list of updates I want to do to our Master to keep me on track:

ONE \ New Rug

TWO \ New bedside lamps

THREE \ Matching bedside tables

FOUR \ Headboard, preferably upholstered

FIVE \ artwork

SIX \ New light fixture- I so want to ditch our ugly fan

SEVEN \ new paint color ?

A few bedrooms that are my inspiration.  I am drawn to blue tones, grays, and neutrals.  Also as you can see I prefer an all white bed with slight color on the accent pillows.  I still really want a Moroccan Wedding Blanket too!

Step one for Master Bedroom Update was a new rug.  Rugs USA was sweet enough to work with me and send us a new rug for our bedroom.

I chose the Jimuta Dawn Overdye Rug and I am really pleased with it!

Check it out in our bedroom.  I like how it is faded and the colors blend together,  that is just the look I was going for!  I love rugs with a real worn in look.  The rug is a little more brown than it looks in the picture online, but our room is neutral so it worked just fine.  The rug has the texture and look of a softer jute rug in person.

Notice Matt’s shoes in the corner he never picks his stuff up, constant battle around here!

Rugs USA has a great selection of rugs.  A few of my other favorites.  I had a hard time choosing!

Rugs Galore

Ivory area rug / Home decor / Home decor / Cobblestone / Natural / Nickel

Now that rug is done, my next step is matching lamps and bed side tables.  Currently Matt doesn’t even have a bedside lamp, poor guy has to read at night with my kindle book light.  I keep hoping to find some cheap ones at Homegoods or TJMaxx but no luck so far!

I love the look of this acrylic side table but I am afraid I might miss having drawers.  So not sure what I will do for side tables. No matter what I want matching ones because right now they are mismatched and I hate it!

I will keep you guys updated along the way as I make progress!

1. February 20, 2014 / 12:13 pm

Pretty rug! We too are trying to update our master. We're getting a king sized bed which I'm excited about and I want to change some of the decor too. For some reason, I never like how my master looks! Hopefully with new furniture it will come together

2. February 20, 2014 / 12:18 pm

I love the new rug! My source for cheap lamps has been Target. It takes some time, but I've found some that are super cheap but look high end. It helps to change out the lampshades sometimes, but worth a look! xo

3. February 20, 2014 / 12:49 pm

Our bedside tables don't match either and it drives me nuts. However, the thing that drives me crazy the most is that because of it our lamps are uneven.

4. February 20, 2014 / 1:08 pm

Love love love the rug!

5. February 20, 2014 / 1:15 pm

The new rug looks great! Sadly, our Master Bedroom is the last thing on our to-do list, when it should be one of the first. Maybe in our next house we'll get it together. 🙂

6. February 20, 2014 / 2:02 pm

You should check out Target for upholstered headboards. I would have been hesitant to look there, but when Julia of Gal Meets Glam did a post on her house I saw that the tufted headboard she had in her bedroom was from Target. Then I saw them on other blogs and decided to buy one for our guest room and was very pleased with the quality!

7. February 20, 2014 / 2:36 pm

I was at hobby lobby the other day and saw some really attractive lamps! Plus you can always get a 40% off coupon on their website

8. February 20, 2014 / 3:41 pm

I'm trying to choose a rug from them too, and it's so freaking hard!! There are so many, and I just don't know what's going to look right! Your choice was great, and love all your inspiration!

9. February 20, 2014 / 3:47 pm

That rug is so pretty…I feel the same way about our house! I think a home is always a work in progress! There are so many updates I want to do around here too! Loving all of your inspiration images too!

10. February 20, 2014 / 4:22 pm

Loving the new rug update…looks great! And we are also looking for an upholstered headboard…it's hard to pull the trigger though!

11. February 20, 2014 / 5:48 pm

y'alls room looks great. loving all of your master bedroom inspirations as well. Xx.

12. February 20, 2014 / 6:15 pm

Girlfriend. Get yourself some fabric and my boy Johnny of Quality Upholstery will custom make you a king size head board, tufted, nailheads, whatever you want, for about $350. You cannot beat him!

13. February 20, 2014 / 6:23 pm

We just recently invested in a Cal King and it literally takes over our whole bedroom. I just barley squeezed in our matching nightstands. Super excited to move and have a real master bedroom!

14. February 20, 2014 / 9:52 pm

Love the new rug and bedding! I honestly really like the lamps you have already!

15. February 20, 2014 / 10:31 pm

Love the rug…and I'm like you- I love white bedding with pops of color!

We can relate to the lamp thing. I love, love, love the lamp in our bedroom, but the set-up of our room doesn't really lend itself to 2 nightstands. I have a bedside table and Bryce has none. It's awful on the nights he wants to read after I'm ready to sleep. We have a gold sconce with a moveable arm that I think could work for his side, but haven't gotten around to actually hanging it!

16. February 20, 2014 / 10:48 pm

So fun! Love the updated rug. The Moroccan blanket is a fabulous idea! I am thinking you would love those acrylic side tables. It would add a little modern element into your space. Great start my friend! Can't wait to see more.

17. February 21, 2014 / 7:04 am

Hey Natalie it looks great! Love the new rug and yes, the king bed is the way to go for sure! Love the little mirrored desk/vanity/dresser best of all tho…been wanting on of those for awhile! Very pretty bedroom

18. February 21, 2014 / 1:33 pm

Perfect choice for a rug! Will create the whole mood for your room. Can't wait to see the final reveal. xox

19. February 26, 2014 / 4:00 pm

Great rug! And I love all the ones you rounded-up. I'm looking for a bedside table too, but still haven't found the one!

20. March 17, 2014 / 12:49 pm

I get it why you're having a hard time in choosing, because all of them looks great! Each design can improve the room's entire look. Make sure to clean them regularly though, to ensure that the dirt caught up wouldn't cause health issues.

Chuck Levesque