I can’t believe I have not posted this recipe yet! I made it almost two months ago and had totally forgotten about it. I am a hug fan of casseroles or any dish that can be prepared ahead of time. That way I can cook at nap-time then at dinner all I have to do is pop it in the oven. This dish makes alot, I separated it into two dishes and brought half to my sister in law who had just had a baby. If you buy a rotisserie chicken this is super easy to make. Not many ingredients but they all pair together really well. I love the addition of the lemon in it, it adds such a nice unexpected flavor. Plus since there is kale in it you are getting a serving of leafy green veggies for the day. I of course had to tweak the recipe by adding more cheese- everything tastes better with extra cheese!
This is such a great weekend night meal!
|| C H I C K E N A N D K A L E C A S S E R O L E ||
Recipe adapted via Martha Stewart
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3/4 pound large pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced medium
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bunches kale (1 1/2 pounds), tough stems and ribs removed, leaves coarsely chopped
- 2 cups shredded or chopped cooked chicken (I used rotisserie chicken)
- 1 container (28 ounces) part-skim ricotta
- 3 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
- 3/4 cup Parmesan, grated
- 1 Container Cottage Cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- salt and pepper to taste
oven to 350 degrees. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta
according to package instructions. Drain; return to pot. In a large
skillet, melt butter over medium-high. Add onion and garlic; cook until
onion is beginning to soften, 4 minutes. Add kale, cover, and cook until almost tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to pot with pasta.
Stir in chicken, ricotta, cottage cheese, lemon
zest, and 1/2 cup Parmesan, and mozzarella; season with salt and pepper. Transfer
mixture to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish; top with 1/4 cup Parmesan. Bake
until top is golden, 30 minutes.