Summer Reading: What’s On my Nightstand Part 2

Remember that Jamie Foxx song, “Blame it on the Alcohol”? Well that is what I blame my surge in reading on this Summer,  the lack of alcohol in my life.  I don’t have happy hour anymore so I get in bed with my full wits about me ready to read.   Plus I get in bed super early so I have more time to read now too (ah the joys of pregnancy).  I have been powering through like a book a week.  Such a book worm, I know.  I have read some really great books though and wanted to share.  Here is what I plowed through:

Summer Reading

BEAUTIFUL RUINS– Several of you recommended this book to me last time I did my books post.  It was a really entertaining story about an old Hollywood actress and a secret she kept for years.

BEBE DAY BY DAY– I really liked the first book by Pamela Druckerman, Bringing up Bebe, so I checked this one out at the library.  It is a super short read just 100 little blurbs and tips on French parenting. Everything in it made so much sense to me.  I mean seriously the French have this parenting thing down way better than us.

ROB LOWE STORIES I ONLY TELL MY FRIENDS– I have always loved Rob Lowe but my love for him grew even more after he was on Brothers and Sisters- why was that show canceled again??  This was a juicy autobiography about his life in Hollywood and growing up, it made me like him even more.

WHISKEY BEACH– I am a huge Nora Roberts fan I always love all her books.  This one has it all from mystery to romance.

GUILTY WIVES CLUB– My mom recommended this book to me and I read in 3 days, it was so good.  It is about a group of 4 women arrested in Monaco and put in jail for a crime they did not commit.  James Patterson books are always such quick easy reads

PROOF OF HEAVEN– I have wanted to read this book for a long time and I finally decided to read it after my grandfather died.  I no doubt believe in Heaven but it is so interesting to me to read others accounts of near death experience’s.  Eben’s story is amazing, he was a neurosurgeon who was more scientific than religious until he contracted meningitis and was in a coma for 7 days.  It is a miracle he survived.  While in his coma he visits Heaven and this is his story of his coma, near death experience and life after.

ENGAGEMENTS– I kept reading write ups for this book in all my fashion magazines.  It was such a compelling story following 5 people around thru their lives.  Each person had a different story relating to marriage, adultery, divorce, or the decision not to be married.  I loved that the chapters switched from one persons perspective to another.  I could not put this book down.  Interesting views on marriage and what it means to others.

REVENGE WEARS PRADA– I loved this sequel as much as the original.  Highly recommend if you loved The Devil Wears Prada.  Such a fun read filled with fun fashions and life in the magazine world.

Now I need to know what to read next, please share some great book recommendations!
xoxo

1. July 22, 2013 / 11:24 am

Have you ever read Bergdorf Blondes? It's about 8 years old but a really mindless easy read about Park Avenue Princesses. Being a fashion buff I think you'd love it.

2. July 22, 2013 / 11:40 am

I loved all the Lisa See books, as well as the Jeannette Walls ones. Of course Emily Giffin for chick lit! Jones Design blog always posts great book recs. An American Heiress and The Kitchen House are up next me for me!

3. July 22, 2013 / 11:47 am

I'm almost through Revenge Wears Prada. I'm staying up all hours reading it. It's sooooo good! Guilty Wives was great! Proof of Heaven and Engagements look like they'll be on the list too!

4. July 22, 2013 / 12:02 pm

Great list, I have read some others I was curious about and now I will have to check them out!

And I totally agree Brothers and Sisters was amazing.

5. July 22, 2013 / 12:16 pm

I needed new reading material so thank you! If you havent yet read white girl problems I suggest you do so immediately!

6. July 22, 2013 / 12:18 pm

Are you on Good Reads? It's a great way to see what others are reading and find new books based off of what you enjoy reading! "Where'd You Go, Bernadette?" was HILARIOUS and a good quick read!

7. July 22, 2013 / 12:28 pm

I am in the middle of Island Girls by Nancy Thayer. Cute summer read about sisters spending the summer in Nantucket. I also read Brooklyn Girls. Funny and a little inappropriate. Both quick summer reads. Revenge Wears Prada is on my coffee table and next on my list. Looking forward to it!

8. July 22, 2013 / 12:32 pm

These are great! I read so fast that it's hard to know what to pick up next! I wasn't sure what to expect with revenge either : )
    Lauren

9. July 22, 2013 / 12:37 pm

Just ordered Beautiful Ruins and can't wait to get my hands on it! The new Emily Giffin is amazing too!

10. July 22, 2013 / 12:44 pm

Have you read What Remains? I know you enjoyed Mrs. Kennedy and me and this is a story about princess Radizwell's daughter in law coping with the death of her husband and best friend who was married to JFK jr. She was on the real housewives of NY

Also, I am just starting the Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls. I would never have picked it but I have seriously seen it on every reading list this summer .. Cosmo, Glamour, O Magazine. travel and leisure, etc.

11. July 22, 2013 / 12:52 pm

Yes, I loved Brothers & Sisters, can't understand why it was cancelled! Adding some of these to my list!

12. July 22, 2013 / 12:59 pm

The Jamie Foxx reference made me chuckle! I just finished What Remains and am now reading When We Were the Kennedys. Next up is definitely Revenge Wears Prada!

13. July 22, 2013 / 1:01 pm

I've wanted to read Rob Lowe's book & now I will definitely buy it!

14. July 22, 2013 / 1:30 pm

I want to pick up the Engagement book. Just finished reading the Revenge Wears Prada and I loved it too!

15. July 22, 2013 / 1:31 pm

Crazy Rich Asians. You won't be able to put it down.

16. July 22, 2013 / 1:40 pm

I recently enjoyed The Paris Wife. I've been looking forward to reading Revenge Wears Prada and I also want to read Lauren Graham's new book, Someday Maybe (I think). I loved her in Gilmore Girls.

17. July 22, 2013 / 1:56 pm

Ugh I have several books that are sitting on my nightstand to read but somehow I just never get around to it! I love your list though…will be adding a few!

18. July 22, 2013 / 3:27 pm

I loved Revenge Wears Prada. I just read "The Best of Us" by Sarah Pekkenan. Hoda Kotb recommended it on the Today Show and I LOVED it.

19. July 22, 2013 / 3:33 pm

I love book recs! I am going to have to read some of these on your list 🙂 I just finished "Sisterland" by Curtis Sittenfeld, and finished in 3 days. Very good. Right now I am reading "Summer Sisters" by Judy Blume. Yes thats right Judy Blume! It is an adult book (not for kids by any means), and it is so good! I stayed up way past my bedtime reading it. Can not put it down. Also, "Love You More" by Lisa Gardner was excellent as well.

20. July 22, 2013 / 10:12 pm

Great reads. I'm going to have happy hour for the both of us tonight ; )

21. July 23, 2013 / 12:23 am

I've been wanting to read the Bebe book and now that you said it's a short read it's on my book list! It has taken me like 6 months to almost finish Brandi Glanville's book…I enjoy a trashy read 😉

22. July 23, 2013 / 1:44 am

Reconstructing Amelia

Gone Girl

Sharp Objects

Once Upon a Secret: My Affair with President JFK

Emma & Me

23. July 25, 2013 / 5:10 am

My favorite book as of late is Fireflies in December! I just checked out Where'd You Go Bernadette? per a friend's suggestion and am looking forward to reading it at the beach!

24. July 25, 2013 / 7:00 pm

we have all the same taste in books – I want to read proof of heaven and try to get kip to read it too (i'm sure I'll fail miserably) and have engagements next up in my line up!

25. July 27, 2013 / 5:47 pm

I just love to read! I read abut three books a week during the summer. Total nerd, I know;) I loved Mary Kay Andrews new book. And so far Elin Hilderbrand's "Beautiful Day" is a great read. Happy reading!!!