How to Style an Orchid like a Pro

I love an orchid, I really do.  I feel like they can really make a room pop.  Every time I see one in someone else’s  home I love the look!

My mom and my sister in law have these beautiful orchids in their homes that a local florist (Jessie Campbell) in Charlotte designed for them.  They are gorgeous and it got me thinking I could recreate that for cheaper. I could not be more thrilled with my results.

So, it is your lucky day I am dishing all my secrets so you can create a sick nasty arrangement like this too!

First obviously you need to pick up an Orchid.  Trader Joes has great orchids starting at $8.95.  They are my go-to place to buy orchids.  This time I found mine at Costco.  It was around $15 because it is a huge one.   I wanted a larger one to work on our coffee table.  Just pick an orchid according to where you want to keep it in your house.  There are some with just one stem and some with multiples.

Next pick a bowl you want to pot the orchid in.  I always love the look of Orchids in glass containers, so I chose this glass bowl my mom gave me.  Other ideas are silver bowls, brass pots,  ceramic bowls etc.  If you don’t have one you can easily find something like this at a Consignment store or even Goodwill.

Next you need to trim the plastic around the top of the Orchid so it doesn’t stick out in your bowl.  Trim it about 1/2 inch to an inch down.  You want to keep the bottom in the plastic for watering purposes.

You will need two types of moss.  The light gray kind I found in our neighborhood.  If you live in the South this stuff is everywhere.   Hanging from trees and piled on the ground.  Sterling and I went on a bike ride and collected it one afternoon. The green moss pieces you can find at Micheals.

Place your orchid in the center of your bowl.  And then start spreading the gray moss all around it.  You want it packed in to keep the orchid from moving.

Then layer the green moss all over the top.

Then, my friends you are done.  It is as easy as that.   This whole thing cost less than $20.  Pretty great for a fabulous arrangement, that will hopefully last for awhile.

The final step is to find a home for your sweet new plant.  Ours is pretty happy in our den.

Only problem is my orchids don’t live for long.  Supposedly they are the
easiest plant to keep alive, but then why do mine always die?  I have a
black thumb for real I can’t seem to keep anything green living for
long.  Any secrets to an Orchids longevity?

Happy Monday.  Its a dreary one here, which means alot of indoor playtime!

xoxo

1. February 11, 2013 / 12:24 pm

dang girl, you are a pro at this! Looks amazing! I have two faux orchids that I finally placed in bowls and now I love them!

2. February 11, 2013 / 12:40 pm

Love this post today!!

I heard the same thing about orchids, how you can never kill them yet somehow mine always seem to die!!

3. February 11, 2013 / 12:51 pm

Mine usually die quickly too. I heard the trick is to leave them alone and only spritz the leaves….

4. February 11, 2013 / 12:53 pm

great post! I love your tips! Thanks for sharing I will definitely be doing this.

5. February 11, 2013 / 12:54 pm

Love your arrangement! I have one in almost every room because I love the look so much! To give a little more style to the arrangement I would go to a local florist and get a few stems of Curly Willow (always work in odd numbers, so I would say 3) I know you would love the look. They should go just slightly higher than the orchid. Good luck with your plant! Looks fab on your table!

6. February 11, 2013 / 12:57 pm

They need sun I have the around my house as well and the ones not in direct sun always die quicker.

7. February 11, 2013 / 1:16 pm

Damn guurrrllll. You owned this. Does the pooch get near it? I am concerned my Stella would have a face full of moss if left unattended.

8. February 11, 2013 / 1:22 pm

Never water it! Seriously, like only once a month. Then, when you do water put it under your faucet and completely drench it (think rainforest downpour). I've even gotten mine to rebloom. They do love plenty of sunlight.

9. February 11, 2013 / 1:22 pm

Love it! My cat would EAT the moss. Boo. I do not love fake plants, but have to use them if it is my cat's reach. Celedon is my fav place for fake stems. This post makes me want an orchid. My mom loves them too.

10. February 11, 2013 / 1:25 pm

Most orchids die because they are over-watered. The best way to water them is 2 ice cubes once a week. Thanks to this tip, I kill all plants but orchids! Good luck! Yours is beautiful!

11. February 11, 2013 / 1:52 pm

It looks gorgeous. Don't want it, just stick in 2 ice cubes once a week. It will keep them alive for much longer!

12. February 11, 2013 / 1:57 pm

Hi! I am a friend of your husbands from college and think we have a bunch of mutual friends in charlotte – small world!

I have had orchids in the past and a great trick to keeping them alive (which Campbells told me was a no no) was give them 3 ice cubes ones a week. I have brought orchids back to life when campbells told me there was no hope.

13. February 11, 2013 / 2:58 pm

Gorgeous! I need an orchid now.
    I had one once before and I know they need shaded light and I used ice cubes to water mine, as well.

14. February 11, 2013 / 3:15 pm

That looks phenomenal. I kill plants too. I think they are fickle!

15. February 11, 2013 / 3:29 pm

Totally one of my favorite posts of yours ever. I'm stealing these ideas for shizzy. Been looking at fun flower pots but maybe I need to just use what I have. Regardless, the moss is going in. xoxo

16. February 11, 2013 / 3:32 pm

I always kill our plants too! But I have found with orchids that if I just put 4-5 ice cubes in it every other week that is all the water it needs.

17. February 11, 2013 / 3:41 pm

It looks great… but what is the REAL secret?? How do you keep your little one away from it?! My little guy is much younger than yours but I know he would want to grab the orchid every time he saw it!

18. February 11, 2013 / 4:08 pm

I just bought one last night! I am going to have to try this.

19. February 11, 2013 / 4:15 pm

It looks fab in your space!

20. February 11, 2013 / 4:16 pm

Love it! And you made it so easy for us! Looks great!

21. February 11, 2013 / 4:23 pm

So professional!

People pay lots of money at the florist for something like that!

22. February 11, 2013 / 4:32 pm

so pretty! i love orchids too but they die on me too :((

23. February 11, 2013 / 4:41 pm

Great DIY post! Orchids are my favorite and I am the worst at keeping them alive too!!! I did the ice cube trick last time (one ice cube per week) and that kept mine living longer than any other time. Also they need light-like need to be near a window. Will be heading to Trader Joes today….

24. February 11, 2013 / 5:19 pm

Gorgeous! I also kill every plant…well except for this one that barely keeps hanging on. The two orchids I've owned, I've killed. I did do the ice cubes on the second one, and I do feel that it stayed alive longer but I was not successful at getting it to re-bloom. Good luck!!! You'll have to fill us in if you figure out the secret to keeeping these around.

25. February 11, 2013 / 6:06 pm

Great post!! I, too, kill most plants, including orchids, although I've had a lot of success with a planter of succulents too. I get confused by orchids though- what are you supposed to do once the blooms fall off? Trim the long stem down? I've never figured that out! xo

26. February 11, 2013 / 6:08 pm

I LOVE this!! I'm going to tj's tonight!!! It looks amazing on your coffee table!!

27. February 11, 2013 / 6:32 pm

Love it!! So happy to find out the ice cube trick from your readers, that's awesome! I love it just stems too once the flowers are off 🙂

28. February 11, 2013 / 7:20 pm

I have stayed away from orchids since I fear it I will kill one overnight. But your beautiful arrangement makes me thing I should head over to TJ's tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!

29. February 11, 2013 / 7:22 pm

I think the biggest thing is NOT over watering. I always just put a few ice cubes in the container like once a week at the most and it seems to keep them alive for a long time. I love orchids too, they really do spruce up any room! Great job!!

30. February 11, 2013 / 7:40 pm

Gorgeous my dear!! I need to do that with mine! I put two ice cubes in my orchid whenever I think about it…it hasn't died, but it hasn't bloomed again. I stick fake orchid blooms in it!!!

31. February 11, 2013 / 7:53 pm

A florist who specialized in orchids once told me to put a couple ice cubes in it once or twice a week. It helps because then you don't over water it – I even water my bamboo that way and its much better!!

32. February 11, 2013 / 10:56 pm

Looks so fab! I wish I could keep them alive! Campbell's here will store them for you after they bloom.

33. February 12, 2013 / 12:14 am

Looks great, nice job! I literally just threw my most recent Trader joes orchid away. At least when I manage to kill those, they were cheap. I have NEVER managed to keep one alive. Sounds like I need to try everyone's ice cube trick!

34. February 12, 2013 / 2:04 am

Amazing! I had one for almost 5 months, but is dying 🙁 I'll have to pick a new one soon!

35. February 12, 2013 / 2:19 am

I have pure love for this orchid and styling.

36. February 12, 2013 / 2:20 am

How did you kill the bugs in the Spanish moss? I have heard you can put the moss in the microwave but haven't tried that yet.

37. February 12, 2013 / 3:11 am

My mother can keep an orchid like a boss, I on the other hand do not have that magical touch. I've heard that it's all about the light and the perfect watering situation. Oh, and finding a good local "orchid doctor" to help you in times of need. 🙂

38. February 12, 2013 / 1:21 pm

Going to Trader Joes this morning! I want to try and style an orchid like you! I think this could def be another career for you, Natalie! : )

39. February 12, 2013 / 2:32 pm

Great job! Mine always die too…but I'm inspired to run to Costco to get some more!

40. February 13, 2013 / 10:26 pm

Try planting them into wooden branches which is similar as they are found in the wild. Pantry Doors

41. February 15, 2013 / 9:49 pm

Beautiful, but be careful with the Spanish moss. Chiggers and other bugs LOVE to live in it!

42. May 4, 2013 / 2:07 am

The reason your orchids aren't living long is because your using them for pure decor. There is no life quality having no drainage in the plastic and the glass bowl isn't exactly ideal. Phals (a Phalaenopsis hybrid from what i see in your photo..)need indirect sunlight, 3 ice cubes of water a week.. (just a measuring tool) they like to be a little on the medium damp to dry side. Water logging kills the roots and causes root rot. Not trying to be a negative Nancy or a rude Rhonda here.. I'm just giving advice as someone who grows orchids for the love of plants and grows them from seed. _Indirect sun, Light watering (if leaves shrivel its too much or too little..) keep the roots misty wet…thats all. The plastic cup needs drainage. Root need air. they are different on needs. Look into LECA (Light Expanded Clay Aggregate) as a potting medium. only needs repotting when the roots outgrow the pot and they are reusable. You may need to fertilize once a week… but your phals will live. They only bloom 1-2 times a year as well. Good Luck.