Denim Shirts: Hot or Not?

I am having a major mental conflict debating if I should jump on the jean shirt bandwagon.  I keep seeing all sorts of stylish girls wearing them and it has me convinced I need one.  They look so chic and adorable in theirs but I can I pull off this look?

As cute as I think the denim shirt look is in the back of my mind all I can think about is Teen Beat, the early 1990’s and these guys rocking jean shirts.  Can they possibly still be cool to wear?

While I am not sure I am ready to shell out any big bucks on this trend,  I did  manage to find this version at Forever 21 that just might satisfy the Fashionista in me that wants to rock this trend.  At $22.80 it is not going to the break bank.   And if I feel stupid in it and all else fails,  I can put it on and watch

some Saved By the Bell Re-runs and feel right at home.

{Forever 21 Faded Denim Shirt}

And while searching for inexpensive denim shirts I came across these adorable scalloped jean shorts.  I think they are a definite yes!  They are high waisted to cover my muffin top and best part they are only $56! A gem of a deal!

{MIH Scalloped Jean Shorts}

So,  tell me what are your thoughts on the denim shirt?  I have been wavering for awhile.  Should I just bite the bullet and jump on board with the denim shirt trend?   Rest assured I will never jump aboard the Denim Tuxedo Train.

Happy Friday!  In the words of my home girl Rihanna “Cheers to the Freaking Weekend!”

1. July 13, 2012 / 11:33 am

So here it goes. I do not know why, but I cannot get on this bandwagon. I jumped on it before in the early 2000's and I am not so sure I can do it again.

2. July 13, 2012 / 11:34 am

I love it in pics but balk everytime i walk in to j.crew to buy it. Im going to give it one more season to see where it goes. I think i like it but its just not me.

3. July 13, 2012 / 11:38 am

Go for it!! I think it's the perfect transition piece to extend colorful jeans and shorts into late summer. Also check out Gap/ Old Navy xo

4. July 13, 2012 / 11:41 am

I say go for it!! I finally caved and jumped on board with the J.Crew one and I probably wear at least once or twice a week! You'd be surprised with how much it goes with!! My favorite look is chambray + a maxi skirt = super cute!!!

5. July 13, 2012 / 11:42 am

Don't you be hatin' on Saved By The Bell. I love me some Mr. Belding & friends. I think denim shirts are one of those pieces that look fantastic in magazine editorials, where all the styling is spot-on perfect, but is harder to pull off in real life. But if anyone can rock it I know you can!

6. July 13, 2012 / 12:04 pm

I'm totally on this bandwagon, love how versatile they are!

7. July 13, 2012 / 12:11 pm

I had one from j.crew and never worn it because I always felt awkward! I just sold it on eBay a few weeks ago. Love it in pictures, but wasn't for me.

8. July 13, 2012 / 12:34 pm

I just can not get on board with the denim shirt. I think it will be out of style soon. It looks cute on the girls in the pics, but it just isn't for me.
    Have a fab weekend!

9. July 13, 2012 / 12:42 pm

I think you could pull it off! A chambray shirt and white denim is so chic to me!

10. July 13, 2012 / 12:42 pm

I have two and love them. You should get the new polka dot one from Jcrew – it's more feminine and might be a way for you to ease in to it.

11. July 13, 2012 / 12:54 pm

Yeah I always check them out but never actually buy. I guess b/c I'm seeing it so much and I love the look, I'm maybe just a little bored by it now? Not sure. But it's definitely a good and easy look. You could totally do it. I like the lighter versions better.

12. July 13, 2012 / 1:01 pm

I like the look of them with the white skinnies or white shorts, but like you, I haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet…LOVE the flashback to Teen Beat! xoxo I think Mark-Paul Gosselaar has gotten hotter with age. http://www.styleoyster.blogspot.com

13. July 13, 2012 / 1:03 pm

You can pull it off. It has taken me forever to embrace the jean shirt. I love it on others, but still trying to find a way to work it into my everyday wardrobe. Everytime I find one that I think I might like, it's sold out!

14. July 13, 2012 / 1:25 pm

I love the denim shirt look but it has to be the right shirt, fitted and faded in just the right spots. I think Jcrew has a really cute one.

seriously your pictures from Tigerbeat kill me!!

15. July 13, 2012 / 1:26 pm

I have the J Crew one..from the outlet! Adore it!!

16. July 13, 2012 / 1:26 pm

I have the J Crew one..from the outlet! Adore it!!

17. July 13, 2012 / 1:31 pm

I have one from old navy and I seriously wear it at least once a week. Love it with my white skinny jeans, my colored jeans and white shorts. I promise it goes with so much and you will love it!!

18. July 13, 2012 / 1:41 pm

I bought a denim shirt two spring seasons ago and have worn that shirt SO much. It's easy and goes with everything, even those neon yellow shorts I have in my drawer that I can't seem to pair with anything. Do it! 😉

19. July 13, 2012 / 1:48 pm

My thoughts say its hot. In my opinion the only time it becomes too 90's is when paired denim on denim, am I right? I feel if its paired with black, white, or color and some trendy accessories it can be super cute!

20. July 13, 2012 / 2:02 pm

You definitely need a denim or Chambray shirt. Seriously! I had my doubts as well, but it truly goes with everything, especially all of those cute colored jeans. Have a wonderful weekend! I adore your blog!

21. July 13, 2012 / 2:27 pm

I feel the same way about "jean shirts". I would try one, though. Now, a jean jacket? Not so much. I used to have a really cute one in high school, but that is a trend I will never wear ever again.

22. July 13, 2012 / 2:43 pm

The denim shirt trend can go so wrong if not done right. I remember wearing a denim button down and leggings in the 90's…

I love how the shirts look on certain people, but I'm waiting to find the perfect one at the right price.

Hopefully the trend won't be fizzling by the time I find it!

23. July 13, 2012 / 2:55 pm

you can absolutely rock the denim shirt! Do it 🙂

24. July 13, 2012 / 3:09 pm

I agree completely! I haven't jumped on board as I feel like I wouldn't pull it off as well. But I love all of the inspiration pics and with white or colored jeans it looks fantastic!

25. July 13, 2012 / 3:24 pm

I love the Mary Kate's {or ashley??} but they really remind me of college and how we all wore a j crew version that was three sizes to big for us.

26. July 13, 2012 / 3:30 pm

I do have one and I think I've worn it in the last year but I don't remember the last time! I think they are cute if you style them and you could totally pull one off. And I have worn mine with jeans too. 🙂

In Chicago everyone and their brother has one. My husband wears one and he looks like an urban cowboy. I find them sexy on men but I also like preppy polo shirts on guys. 🙂

27. July 13, 2012 / 5:09 pm

You know you will look awesome! Did you see Peyton and I post wearing ours! We love them!

28. July 13, 2012 / 5:26 pm

Love my j crew chambray shirt. I wear it at least once a week. Cute with leggings, skirts, shorts. I say do it!

29. July 13, 2012 / 5:40 pm

You can definitely pull it off! I have the jcrew chambray shirt it is so versatile! I wear it all the time with all colors – paired it a few weeks ago with orange shorts – def go for it!!

30. July 13, 2012 / 6:22 pm

Wasn't too sure about it, but seriously loving the white bubble necklace paired with it. Maybe I'll reconsider…

31. July 13, 2012 / 7:01 pm

I like the idea of a denim shirt with colored denim–I think it would look great with mint or coral colored jeans!

32. July 13, 2012 / 7:02 pm

Unless you're going to mullet your hair, I say go for it! I posted an outfit this week in my chambray-ish version…love it…was super cheap at old navy!

33. July 13, 2012 / 8:15 pm

I love the denim shirt! It goes with everything and every season. Definitely a "do!"

34. July 13, 2012 / 8:15 pm

You are too funny! I would definitely go for it! You have persuaded me to take the plunge 🙂 (still picturing Zach Morris in my head, though hahaha!).

35. Bwah hahaha! Those Teen Beat pictures are *HILARIOUS*! But seriously, I've been debating the jean shirt, too…they do just seem to look awesome on everyone! I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but the trigger finger is gettin' *really* itchy (c:

36. July 13, 2012 / 9:15 pm

I just bought one from Old Navy on Wednesday, with the 40% off sale. I have not working it yet but think it will be cute with white or black shorts for the summer. I do feel like I'm falling into a fashion blog trend.

37. July 14, 2012 / 12:04 am

I'm with you on this one..I can't seem to make up my mind. I actually OWN a denim shirt, but I have yet to wear it! I just feel like it looks weird on me, but love it on other stylish ladies!

Have a great weekend!!

xo,
    Brooke

38. July 14, 2012 / 1:41 am

I still haven't jumped on this bandwagon either, I don't know why but I just can't decide if I love it or not- it screams the early 90s to me too! My sister has one though and she loves it and wears it all the time so I say if you love it try the F21 one

39. July 15, 2012 / 1:43 am

I think the newer denim shirts look a lot better than the ones from middle school! They look softer and more fitted. I like the look with white bottoms, and the pink pants picture is adorable too!

40. July 15, 2012 / 10:50 pm

Personally I love denim shirts! I wear them all the time, especially at school with some colored shorts and and jack rogers. Casual and easy!

41. July 17, 2012 / 4:10 am

I bought the chambray one from JCrew and I love it. I have paired it with colored jeans, my long hot pink maxi skirt and white shorts. It's very versatile and is so much fun to dress up with a statement necklace! I say go for it!

42. July 17, 2012 / 10:10 pm

I can't do it, but if I looked like you I totally would ha! I love them with white jeans (and a tan H belt:)