Summer Corn Cakes With Tomato Avocado Salsa

You might remember WayWay posting this recipe a few weeks ago. I think we both made it the same night! I originally saw it on Pinterest but then realized I own the cookbook it was from. It comes from Sara Foster’s Southern Kitchen and if you don’t own a Sara Foster Cookbook you should. I own all 4 of her books and they are my absolute favorite cookbooks. She opened a restaurant called Fosters Market in Chapel Hill that was my favorite place to eat while I was in college. It was always filled with the best salads, homemade breads, dips and sandwiches. I still dream about that place now that I no longer live in Chapel Hill but her first cookbooks are filled with all the recipes from there.

This is the perfect light and refreshing Summer dinner. I made them one night when Matt was working late because he all know he hates meatless meals. It was delicious and if you wanted to add meat I think it would be killer with grilled shrimp or some fresh crabmeat. The avocado relish really made the cakes. It was the perfect combo of flavors and paired wonderfully with the corn cakes. Two cakes plus some white wine equals the perfect summer dinner!

Summer Corn Cakes with Chopped Tomato and Avocado Salsa

Adapted from “Sara Foster’s Southern Kitchen”

Makes about 12 large cakes; serves 6 to 8

3 ears corn, shucked

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup cornmeal (If you can only find cornmeal mix, skip the baking powder.)

1/4 cup diced red onion

1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

2 tablespoons well-shaken buttermilk

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Canola oil, for frying

Chopped Tomato and Avocado Salsa (recipe follows)

1.Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a brown paper bag.

2.Cut the corn from the cobs into a large bowl, and scrape the stripped cobs with the back of the knife (or a spoon) to release the juices into the bowl.

3.Place 2 cups of the corn kernels into a food processor, and pulse several times, until the corn is slightly pureed but still chunky. Scrape into the bowl with the remaining corn kernels.

4.Add flour, cornmeal, onion, basil, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper to the corn. Stir to mix.

5.Add the eggs, buttermilk and butter, and stir just to combine. (Do not overmix.)

6.Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add just enough canola oil to barely cover the bottom, and heat until sizzling hot.

7.One heaping tablespoon at a time, scoop the batter into the skillet. Cooking in batches of 4 to 5 to avoid overcrowding, fry the cakes 1 to 2 minutes per side, until golden brown.

8.Drain on the lined baking sheet, and place in the oven to keep warm while cooking the remaining corn cakes. Serve warm topped with a heap of Chopped Tomato and Avocado Salsa.

1. April 18, 2012 / 11:54 am

Making this, this weekend. It's done. I have a ton of avocados to use up. Thank you for reading my mind!

2. April 18, 2012 / 11:55 am

I think that I've actually pinned this twice on my boards. I'm so glad to know that you made it! It is on my list of things to cook.

3. April 18, 2012 / 12:14 pm

Sounds so yummy! Now just wishing my husband would eat avacado!

4. April 18, 2012 / 12:21 pm

I am going to try this recipe again soon. I made these corn cakes a few weeks ago exactly like Way Way made them. I did something wrong bc they were super greasy. My oil seemed very hot. Knowing me, I left out some important ingredient on accident 🙂 Yours look yummy!

5. April 18, 2012 / 12:22 pm

Looks delish!! This will be a def try!

6. April 18, 2012 / 12:29 pm

Thanks for the recipe! Sounds lite and yummy! Your blog is great, thanks for the inspiration! : )

7. April 18, 2012 / 12:33 pm

Mmmm those corn cakes look delicious!

I've been to Fosters in Chapel Hill! 3 of my brothers went to Duke so we frequented Fosters all the time when we visited! I need to get those cook books for sure! 🙂

8. April 18, 2012 / 1:48 pm

YUM! I feel like I can't get enough avocados in the Summer time – will have to try this recipe!

9. April 18, 2012 / 2:20 pm

Definitely making these again and dying for one of Sara Foster's cookbooks! Can't believe I don't have one??!!!

10. April 18, 2012 / 2:24 pm

That recipe is so right up my alley. Man, it looks good.

11. April 18, 2012 / 3:14 pm

MMM corn cakes sound amazing! These look so refreshing! Gotta try them!

12. April 18, 2012 / 3:46 pm

This sounds delicious. I'm definitely going to have to make it soon / hunt down that cookbook!!
    Thanks for sharing

13. April 18, 2012 / 4:33 pm

I did not know you were a Carolina girl! I graduated from UNC in 2002. Im a stay at home mom as well to a 18mo old handsome boy. Chapel Hill will always hold a special place in my heart.

14. April 18, 2012 / 4:34 pm

15. April 18, 2012 / 9:40 pm

I love Sara Foster….I have all of her cookbooks but this one. It's a must get. This recipe looks and sounds wonderful.

16. April 18, 2012 / 10:51 pm

Seriously — you always have the best recipes! This looks amazing.

17. April 19, 2012 / 12:02 am

I just pinned this today! Good to know they are delish!

18. April 19, 2012 / 6:24 pm

I am officially a nut. Just re-read this recipe. It says "oil in pan enough to cover" and I fried these corn cakes like I was frying French fries 🙂 no wonder they were grease bombs! Duh!

19. November 22, 2012 / 4:26 am

The fashion cheap louis vuitton handbags world has a momentous part in traditions, allowing individuals hermes birkin kelly handbags to use its style elements to build up and characterize themselves. cheap chanel handbags By presenting a scrupulous image of one's self to the world, the cheap prada handbags play its part as the vital fashion accessory. The form and structure of the winter jackets is an extra piece to fitting the fractions of each woman's body, just as the selection of a detailed catier rings allows the individual to characterize themselves. It is indispensable cheap rolex watches for the woman to be well-known with and comprehend her own body's proportion cheap christmas giftsas this will be the foundation to start to choose which handbag choice would be best.

20. November 22, 2012 / 4:26 am